Friday, December 15, 2006

White's Move


"Perhaps I should just give up with puzzles altogether?" commented an exasperated Jonathan, after being stumped by Justin's very tricky post. Well, we wouldn't want that.

So - here's a brief, witty little number, that hopefully won't hurt the brain cells too much, and will entertain to boot. It was composed by puzzle-legend Sam Loyd in 1858 - although I encountered it just the other day in the ChessWorld Chess Forum.

Previous puzzles are indexed here btw. And if you fancy something different, don't forget our growing collection of Ultimate Blunders.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the moment I can't solve this one either ...

I'm assuming it's White to play and win. Is that right?


J (still contemplating giving up puzzles but willing to give this one a go for a while longer)

Tom Chivers said...

Possibly it's trickier than I thought - I saw it with the solution at the same time . . .

And yes - white's move - hence the title of the post. White to play and win, in fact.

Anonymous said...

Oh sorry,

I had scribbled the position down and was trying to solve it from a bit of paper. I shall pay attention next time!

Can I beg another clue - still struggling I'm afraid. Is it White to mate in x number of moves? If so could you tell me what x is.

Often I seem to be able to pick out the general themes but not be able to find the specific sequence of moves - this one I don't seem to have the faintest clue.

:-(

Tom Chivers said...

It's mate in 3, I think.

The theme is Zugzwang.

As for a clue . . . well, the white king is irrelevant and doesn't move.

There you go!

Anonymous said...

I gave up in the end and gave it to Fritz who, needless to say, got it in less than no time.

OK - I should have been able to work that one out.

Can I have an even easier one now please????

Tom Chivers said...

Ok, I guarantee you that you'll be able to solve the next one!

I'll post it up some time this week. For the time being I want to leave the Kasparov Number at the top of the page. But if you have a look in the drafts you might find a sneak preview . . .

Luis725 said...

1.Ngf3+ Kg1 2.Ng5 1-0
2...Nhg4 3.Nf3#
2...Nhf4 3.Ng3#