Saturday, March 24, 2007

Thanks, But No Thanks.


What would you do if you won the lottery? I'd have all those who ever annoyed me hunted down and shot - and then if there was any money left over, I'd save the Pandas.

Maybe, or maybe not. But one thing I rather doubt would tempt even a super-rich me, would be the world's most expensive chess set (Top Ten here):
Valued at over £5 million ($9.8m USD), this single chess set is the most expensive and exquisite game set of any kind in the world. Constructed of gold and platinum, it contains diamonds, emeralds, rubies, pearls and sapphires. The king piece alone weighs 165.2 grams of 18 carat yellow gold and has a spiraling mid-section graced by 73 rubies and 146 diamonds.
A single piece weighing in at 165.2 grams? That's a bag of sugar and a half - and you could never use that for blitz.

Thanks, but no thanks.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd hunt down the pandas then, with any money left over, I'd try to save all those who've annoyed Tom.

I certainly wouldn't buy the chess set. That knight looks well ugly to me.

I possibly would splash a few quid on a good quality wooden set and board though.

(Jonathan B)

Anonymous said...

Offtopic, but just now I saw ejh's comment on Ryan's blog.

Amazon has some sort of self-publishing program, I didn't read through but it's something about print on demand. Check it out, your book might see the light.

ejh said...

Self-publishing?

No.

Done it, won't do it again.

Tom Chivers said...

In fact Jonathan, I've been rethinking. Maybe I'd just take out my bitterness and waste my wealth on destroying all dogs. What have they ever done for me - except, bite me?

Anonymous said...

they've also been just ahead of you wherever you've chosen to walk - and shat on the pavement.

Anonymous said...

I believe I bought that book - long before I knew you were you.

ejh said...

This one?

Anonymous said...

Yes, that's it.

As i recall, and I think we've discussed this before, I disagreed with your comments about supporting England but enjoyed the rest of it.

Perhaps I'll read it again instead of watching England's abortion of a European Championship qualifying campaign.