Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Public Service Announcements

[Before I start, I forgot to say yesterday: we're keeping up our post a day schedule for at least another week. Do keep popping back.]

It's an announcement day here on the S&BC Blog.

First a call for help for a visitor to London. A couple of days ago we received this email from Polly of castlingqueenside.blogspot.com


I will be in London from Saturday 22/8 until Monday 24/8. I actually get in late on Friday. I was looking at the various club links on your blog, and it seems most of the clubs meet on Mondays which doesn't help me since I'm heading to the Netherlands that afternoon. I was wondering if there is a group of players that meet in a pub or cafe on Saturday nights. I would love to have the opportunity to meet and play some players during my short stopover in London. I will probably make a stop at the London Chess Centre, but I know they just sell books and equipment.


I've afraid I'm clueless. Can anybody help Polly out? Please leave a message in our comments box if you can.


Second up, an announcement from Quality Chess. Since (a) their books - judging by the two that I've bought - live up to the company name and (b) co-owner Jacob Aagaard is a (very) occasional visitor to these parts, this tournament's worth supporting.

I always wanted to go Edinburgh, perhaps this would make a good opportunity.


Dear Chess Friends,

Quality Chess is sponsoring an international all-play-all tournament in which IM norms will be possible. The event will be hosted by Edinburgh Chess Club.

Quality Chess publishes chess books and is based in Glasgow, Scotland.

Edinburgh Chess Club is one of the oldest chess clubs in the world, and has been visited by many chess greats, including Capablanca, Alekhine and Karpov.


Tournament Details:

10 player all-play-all

12-20 September 2009

Play will be from 1pm - 7pm each day.

Edinburgh Chess Club,

1 Alva Street,

Edinburgh, Scotland.

http://www.edinburghchessclub.co.uk/

International Arbiter: Alex McFarlane

Time control: 40 moves in 2 hours, then one hour to finish.
Prize money:

1st £500
2nd £300
3rd £150



Participants:

GM Colin McNab Scotland

IM Andrew Greet England

IM Nikolaj Mikkelsen Denmark

FM Mads Andersen Denmark

FM David Eggleston England

FM Craig Thomson Scotland

FM Neil Berry Scotland

Jonathan Grant Scotland

Alan Tate Scotland

Martin Mitchell Scotland

I have not included FIDE ratings, as I believe FIDE will release another list on September 1. Thus, the exact norm requirements are not yet known. Pairings will be done nearer the start date. The field includes four former Scottish Champions (McNab, Thomson, Grant and Tate).

Regards,
John Shaw



Right, that's your lot for today. Tomorrow we're back for another look at the Staunton Memorial.

13 comments:

Tom Chivers said...

Capablanca Chess Club used to meet on Saturday nights in a cafe in Angel ---- despite their withdrawal from the London League they may still do, I don't know.

Martin Smith said...

Fact is, Polly, our brilliant city is rubbish for ad hoc/informal chess venues. So hang on until you get to Amsterdam, and spend Saturday evening at Tate Modern which is open to 10.00pm
http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/information/

Comment Moderator said...

From an anonymous commenter.

[Text removed].

Caffe Forum - 146 Gloucester Road. Chess players playing blitz every night from 9:30pm until the cafe shuts around 2am.

Cheers

Martin Smith said...

Excellent. I take it all back. London not so rubbish for informal chess venues after all. Still worth finding time for Tate Modern, though.

Anonymous said...

Not so informal but you could still meet people and play chess at the Rapid Play at the Mind Sports Olympiad at the Royal Horticultural Halls,Greycoat Street, Victoria on Sunday. Play is from 9.30am (enquiries 07923 824613)

James McDonnell

Polly said...

Thank you very much for all the different ideas. The blitz on Sunday sounds intriguing. I' staying at Hilton in Euston. Hubby doesn't seem to think it's that far I will see how I'm feeling . It's 02:00 but my body thinks it's 21:00.

ejh said...

Polly - if you want to get to Gloucester Road from where you are probably the best way is to take a Tube - either the Piccadily Line from Russell Square or the Circle Line from Euston Square, both of which are pretty close to you. (Not Euston itself, though, unless you want to change lines.) Be sure you know the time the last Tube goes, though, or you might need to pay for an expensive taxi...

Polly said...

ejh:Thanks for the tube information. I'm closest to St. Pancreas/Kings Cross on the Victoria Line. Looks like there is transfer there for Piccadilly line. I presume I take it to Gloucester Rd. How long a walk from tube station?

Polly said...

When I Googled Mind Sports Olympiad I got information about big event in Manchester. Is there a smaller event at the Horticulture Centre?

ejh said...

1. I wouldn't call it "Pancreas" in conversation if I were you. If that station is closer then you can just go directly on the Piccadilly Line. Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere in London without an A-Z and a Tube map.

2. Are you sure the Manchester event wasn't from another year entirely?

Polly said...

ejh: You were right about Mind Sports that was from another year.

Polly said...

Thanks for everyone's help. I went to play last night at Cafe Forum. There was small group of players, but I had enjoyable night of blitz. I did have to deal with an expensive cab ride back, but that's life. They did mention that people play at Holland Park in the afternoons. I did not have a chance to check that out. I wasn't going to subject my non-chess playing hubby to following me around London looking for chess spots.

I would have loved to have played in the rapid tournament, but I couldn't fall asleep last night and didn't wake up until 10:30 this morning. I take about 3 days to adjust to time zone changes.

ejh said...

Hurrah! Glad you found what you were looking for.